Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Virginia Beach: First 36hrs

Everyone who knows me knows that I jump to conclusions, and over exaggerate just about every elementary situation. I'm a "drama queen", or as I just put it "queen", because well I'm royalty. Duh. NO, like I was sayi---typing, Virginia Beach for 2 years is not ideal for me. I'm an Army brat, I'm used to moving, and I'm used to being "the new girl." Blah Blah Blah, I learn to adapt and get over it. Honestly, I'm sick of having to settle into/ adapt to places I can't even see myself being happy in. I've only been in Virginia 36hrs, and I've come to terms with gradually accepting my spiritual defeat. I mean, I signed the contract...right?
Being that it's only been 36hrs and concluding such a thing is a bit dramatic, don't you think? Well I don't. I'm new. I have a roommate, that I'm more than positive is "not my type" of person. I'm new. This base is 73X bigger than my last one. I'm new. I'm still awkward. AND I'm new.

Honestly, I think It's just anxiety; bunch of idiots told me I was officially entering "the real Navy", and my support system (aka everyone I left in El Centro) isn't here to laugh everything off with me. I'm sure I'll meet very amazing people here in Virginia, hell, I may even meet a cutie boy with lots of money, but as of right now I'm alone. I'm alone, and it's scary. OKAY, that's not 100% true either. Just today I spent about an hour catching up with an old friend who has been stationed here since we left Florida together back in 2010. It was good seeing a familiar face, and I'm so thankful for that. I remember having conversations with my friends back in El Centro, they kept telling me this is "a new chapter, or a new journey" I think if I keep thinking of this, moving to Virginia, as a journey; It will ultimately help me get over my anxiety. I guess that's what this post is about, in a nutshell. Getting over it. That's about the only thing I can do.

Something that I haven't even mentioned yet (wanted ya'll to sympathize with my sorry ass) is that my dad is actually KINDA here with me right now. Okay, he is totally here with me right now. He drove me up here from Georgia, and doesn't leave until tomorrow. He helped me move into my new barracks, and we actually went "exploring" today. Found out that the actual Virginia Beach...BEACH is about 7 miles away from base. Also found out that Chik-fil-A is close enough to smell. AND their is a Starbucks on base. Having my dad here has been nothing short of a blessing. He's the coolest 49 year old I know, personally. That being said, I think knowing that he leaves tomorrow is what I'm really upset about. But, I've been in the Navy almost 3 years now, and I've made it this far...so it's safe to say that I'm more than positive that I'll be alright.


If not? I'll just find an elevator shaft...and jump.
"well I miss my old house and my old room. The soft, fate whistles of the trains at 3 AM, and at 5 in the morning too"